Educators implement effective planning, instruction, assessment and reporting practices to create respectful, inclusive environments for student learning and development.

How I met Standard 5 in Practicum 490:

I implemented a wide variety of planning, instruction, assessment, and reporting practices during my practicum. I developed  in-depth lesson plans, prepared all manipulatives and props, instructed well, assessed my students learning, and reported that assessment to students and parents.  This standard was consistently met and I will now provide specific examples of how:

Respect and relationship building was at the fore front of all my student interactions. I listened to my students and what they had to say. This resulted in a high level of trust and some really great relationships. Students felt safe, secure, included, and respected in my class. This positive environment allowed my lessons to excel, since students trusted me and felt comfortable vocalizing their understanding or difficulty with my content. Using this, I used a wide variety of techniques in my instruction, assessment, and planning, which I will detail below:

My content was delivered in a memorable way and students had a lot of fun. I also brought in a lot of fun tools and props for my science lessons!. All of these props added to student engagement and my students retained the content. Examples being gliders, car track tests, ADST designed catapults.

I utilized all resources available to me, such as DLC kits, Bookflix, and the school’s Aboriginal Education department.

All lesson plans were edited by my Coaching Teacher and then I would make the appropriate edits. We would discuss my lessons in detail to ensure my thinking was developing to foresee complications or areas students may need more clarification with.

My lessons were cross curricular, rarely focuses on only one topic. My teaching was engaging, informative, and allowed students to scaffold their learning.

How I met Standard 5 in Practicum 491:

In 491, I continued to plan new and engaging lessons in all subject areas. With Marie as my practice evaluator, I began to teach and learn about number talks. I also explored new resources (Carole Fullerton, Number Talks, Grand Conversations, Thoughtful responses). Taught full time and had all lessons, resources, manipulatives, and prints out ready to go for each lesson. Thoughtful planning and instruction was demonstrated all week. Coaching teacher complimented me on my teaching every day. My practice evaluator praised me on my ability to teach and captivate my student’s attention. A lot of positive feedback about my planning and teaching. All lessons were inclusive of all learners (I used UDL a lot) and all students were engaged and involved! Lesson plans showed though and planning. All prep work was done in advance and all lessons built upon one another. Pacing was well, was able to formatively assess my learners to determine where my lessons should go next. Transitions were smooth and controlled well. I helped students make cross curricular connections (science rovers on mars connected to Social studies lessons on exploration). (LA novel study connected to pink shirt day discussion). Co created assessment criteria with students for informally observed LA with PE (provided student work examples of emerging to extending. Helped students understand how to meet their goals. Expectations and learning intentions were clear for all lessons (in social studies I told them what skill we are working on ‘pulling information from readings’)

I gathered resources and made connections (found out what the librarian can offer). I utilized the DLC a lot this practicum and used 6 DLC kits to add to the engagement levels of my lessons! I also collaborated with other teachers (borrowing lego sets). I brought in the Aboriginal Education  department (Ms Dory) to do several First Nation teachings, to make my classroom more inclusive. I also introduced attendance greeting in a new language every day (picked languages some students hear at home so they feel more included – asked ma student if he would like German one day because he is Australian).