As I reflect back on my 490 practicum, and get ready for my final 490 practicum, I am beginning to consider the type of educator I want to become. I entered the world of education because of my passion for knowledge, learning, and my ability to connect with youth. I want to utilize this year to learn as much as I can about being an educator; I want to take every opportunity to grow and learn as much as I can. Which is why my one word for 2021 is DISCOVER!

When I think of the word discover, I think of my passion for travelling, learning, and experiencing new things. I have always held a passion for discovering new ideas, places, and perspectives (to date I have travelled to over 25 countries). I want to ensure I bring this passion for discovery into my career as a teacher.  I want to leave no stone unturned, as I explore and learn as much as I can. There are so many incredible resources available to me, and I want to

make sure I utilize them. I began my commitment to discovery this week when I attended the professional development “Building capacity in teaching-for-thinking in an indigenous context”. This professional development was facilitated by Peter Ellerton from the University of Queensland, Australia. It was an incredible learning experience and I made a lot of new connections for my personal learning community. I got to listen to experts and reflect on my own understanding of the content! My triad member Victoria was also present and we got to discuss what we had learned!

I also participated in a #BCEDCHAT on twitter. This allowed me to build my

network while also sharing and collaborating with fellow educators. These are the kinds of experiences I want to explore when I keep my #oneword2021 in mind; I want to discover as many new voices and perspectives as a I can, in the hopes they will help my pedagogy grow! This #BCEDCHAT provided me with some new connections and new resources to try out for myself! As I prepare myself for practicum 491, I want to continue DISCOVERING as much as I can. It is such an exciting time to become an educator and I want to make sure I take every opportunity presented to me!