Educators engage in professional learning.

How I met standard 7 in practicum 490:

Throughout my practicum, I was in constant discussion with my coaching teacher to demonstrate my commitment to reflection, self assessment, and continued learning.
My coaching teacher told me that β€œyou take all feedback and run with it. You take feedback and immediately adapt to exceed my expectations!” This was something I prided myself on throughout my practicum; becoming the best teacher I could be!

My desire for authentic feedback led me to ask for additional observations, above my 3 required. This provided me with more feedback, which allowed me to develop professionally.Β  I also asked to teach additional full days when my coaching teacher told me she thought I was ready. In the end, I taught 8 full days instead of the required 3.

I also sought out and organized with the school’s Physical Education teacher, for me to teach my own Physical Education lesson. This was during my prep time and my coaching teacher said it was not required. However, I saw a gap in my learning and asked for the opportunity to fill that gap! Rachel (the school’s Physical Education teacher) oversaw my lesson and said it was impressive and it went amazing!

I attended the BCTF meeting in week 1 and in week 4 I attended the school staff meeting. I attended both of these meetings for insight and personal growth. In third week, I attended an extended school based team meeting to discuss a student in my class who was being put forward for a designation. My insight was asked for and I contributed to documentation of this student and other students in the class. I also helped develop the positive behaviour plan for this student in my final days.

I met with the classroom’s Education Assistant every day to discuss my approach to all students Every Wednesday my coaching teacher and her Education Assistant would have a meeting to discuss their plans. I was welcomed to these meetings, contributed, and used my learning to best meet the needs of my students.

A daily/weekly journal was also kept for quick references of daily learning and goal setting.

How I met standard 7 in practicum 491:

I welcomed all feedback from my coaching teacher and practice evaluator and took that feedback to grow as an educator. I took all feedback to grow as an educator and continue working on myself. Growth was an important motivator for me in 491 and I committed to self reflection through daily journaling. I also self assessed my lessons and conferenced with my coaching teacher every day after school. Discussed assessment with practice evaluator Marie and learned new ways to assess (resources she gave me).

Collaborated with learning commons (Mrs. Bonin) to seek out new resources and where to find them. Communicated with other teachers in the school about coming to their class for observations (to learn as much as I possibly can this practicum).

I also continued on an async learning journey, such as listening to the teachers on fire podcast. I signed up for as many optional professional developments as I could:

1). Using Assessment to Move Learning Forward in Intermediate Math Classrooms with Nikki Lineham

2). Land as Our Teacher: Changing Engagement for Indigenous Learners (Middle Year Gr. 4-9) Storytelling, Land and Identity

3). Building capacity in teaching for thinking in an indigenous context (Jan 4th)