It is hard to believe that it has been 2 years and my time as a UNBC teacher candidate is coming to a close. When I think back on the last 2 years of my life, I am overwhelmed with how much I have grown and learned. In this program I gained so much valuable experience in classrooms across District 57. I also had the most memorable times, such as when I went skiing during my 391 practicum, or when I raised quails during my 491 practicum. This program gave me the freedom to be myself and bring my own unique perspective to the world of education. It is so important for teachers to bring themselves into the profession because every teacher has something unique and special to bring to their students. I pride myself on bringing my openness, acceptance, fun, quirky, and authentic self to every class I enter. I learned how to build trust and connections with students just by being myself! For students to see a strong male role model, who is not afraid to be silly or make mistakes; that is a powerful thing!

I could talk for ever about everything I gained from this program, but I focus on 2 key values that I will take with me:

1). The Importance of Community:

No educator should be an island! Throughout this program I learned the importance of collaboration and community. Having a small cohort allowed me to build powerful relationships with my fellow teacher candidates. This allowed us to share ideas, goals, thoughts, and much more! We shared resources and lesson ideas and just about everything else. It taught me the importance of having a personal learning community. I bounced ideas off my triad, brainstormed with my cohort, and made life long friends along the way. I feel honored to enter the world of education with a community like this:

2). The Importance of Growth:

LIFE LONG LEARNING is something I learned about in the program and something I will continue to aspire to for my entire career. I like to think I learn just as much as my students. throughout my time at UNBC I jumped on every opportunity to learn and develop new skills. Thankfully, UNBC and District 57 offer amazing professional developments! I sign up for as many as I can and I use my new connections on twitter to sign up for others across the entire province! Learning is something all educators should commit to, since the world of education never stays the same for one second!